Monday 13 September 2010

New Airfix Tiger Tank Starter Kit

Can anybody shed any light on this?

The old (without ammunition bin on the back of the turret) Airfix Tiger Tank kit is still about and retailing at £4.99 in the shops (UK). However I was in Model Craft and say a Airfix Starter Kit, with a nice new box art cover. Not a sand coloured Tiger #332 in the desert/Tunisia but a sand and green Tiger in Normandy (with a Sherman 76mm brewing in the background).

What really caught my eye was the nice cover art line drawing of the Tiger with a stowage bin on the back. Hmmm, interesting.Have they done the decent thing and finally retooled it?

Unfortunately retailing at £6.99 I resisted the urge to buy (having plenty of cats already) and I didn't just break into the box, but I am dying to know if the cover matches with the kit inside, as in this implies new tooling. I scanned the Airfix site but cannot see it in their releases, nor does Google Images help but something new is in the shops, strange?

Can anyone offer any help here?

1 comment:

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Note to self:

I was in Hobby Craft and asked one of the assistants if they would mind opening the box so I could inspect the kit.

The sweet lady obliged but alas the packaging may be new, the picture more accurate but same old Airfix Tiger I inside.

I felt a tad cheated and no purchase was made!