Wednesday 9 March 2011

More Red Army (Metals this time)

These boys were a bit of a quick fix, a rapid force expansion if you like, stemming back to my pre-family days when I was relatively flush with wargaming cash as a bachelor in my halcyon London days. I purchased some professionally painted metals off a friend second-hand. Something that runs against the grain of my normal wargaming "modus operandi".


Hence I an unsure even of their manufacturer. Suggestions welcome on a postcard. Notable figures or striking equipment being the chaps with long bayonets which I still think are quite novel.


They were originally based just on card and sat around in that fashion for twelve years until recently when I re-based them as above.


In fact the last act of my putting away of the painting tray was a quick "flock-up" (something I had been meaning to do for the last three years.


There are twenty six all told, nice poses and are a handy bulk up to the plastics when they come off the production line. Their colour scheme was also used as a template when thinking about the plastic Russians I am currently (or was) painting.


They look an early war Summer 1941/42 bunch to me, about to experience "tank fright". Based individually (Skirmish), but they could be herded together in two's and three to represent squads/platoons (Crossfire, Command Decision, Spearhead, BGC).

5 comments:

Monty said...

Good stuff Geordie, what make are they?

Monty

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

I got them second hand so I don't know, I was hoping someone could tell me.

They are on the small 20mm side and quite finely detailed

Beccas said...

Looks great Goeordie.

Laffe said...

I'm not sure, but I think they are FAA.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Thanks Laffe: I think you are spoy on (see link below)

http://www.wargamer.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ww2/pics/susmgfaa.jpg

These figures seem hard to come by now as the FAA range has been sold to a US distributor (pity for us in the UK)