Monday 16 January 2012

1526 Mohacs: The Hungarian Right (My Battle) - Part 2

The adversaries face each other off, Hungarians on the bottom, Turkish to the top (see below). Let battle commence:


The Light Horse forces clash head on and I suffer a(nother) moment of DBR learning curve angst (see below). Note: Spot the lingering Turkish Light horse at the back (top left below). Discretion was deemed the better part of this stands valour, as despite being a potential 'overlap' in combat, the Turkish General didn't go in for feat of being 'shot off his horse' by a supporting unit of Hungarian bow. The benefit of 'combined arms' support and the mounted 'fear of the bow' aka Agincourt ;)


DBR angst #1 explained in Barker'esk:
I discover that Light Horse (Fast) suffer a (-1) if equalled or beaten in combat when not "phasing".

In English:
Light Horse (Fast) are rather fickle fellows.They like to give it out but not take it back, like a school bully. Hence they have an additional 50mm movement capability to take them to contact (making a potential 300mm total move). However when they are on the receiving end of things and are 'equalled or bettered' they receive a (-1) modifier to their dice combat roll to recalculate their final; score. This often takes them over the statistical killing edge to be 'doubled' and hence killed in combat.

Perfect DBR Barkerite Solution:
So, I should never have taken these chaps within 305mm (30.5cm) of the enemy Light Horse (Fast). Then they would not have been on the end of the receiving charge and I would have been able to extend out into line my Light Horse (Superior) on the right and advance upon the Turk with a tactical advantage. In fact I would/should have 'first' (as in first move in the move/puzzle sequence) moved my column of Light Horse (Superior) into a place where the Light Horse (Fast) could have 'wheeled slightly', to form an angled line. The DBR movement suddenly turns into a Suduko puzzle with "correct solutions" to the 'DBx'land geometry'. Can you see what colour my aura is, or rather see why it is turning a brown-black?

Remember this is supposed to be fun and entertainment ;)

What actually happened. 
The Turk pounced (and good on him) and butchered two stands of my Light Horse (Fast), as per the gaps in the line (see photograph up above the previous text). Both sides were now a mass of confusion, typical Light Horse stuff. Count two layers up from the line of Knight Lancers to see my original front line (again the photograph above not below).

My turn next, the outcome is shown below:  


I return the complement and "wallop-in" (authentic Hungarian Renaissance battle terminology, or so I believe) and I take a Light Horse (Fast) back from the Turk, but there is also a DBR angst moment #2 (see below).  "With a spare PiP" I also make a stupendous DBR movement error of astronomical proportions in my rear line, thinking I would be supporting my General I gave him a rear rank support, it's just a pity that Knights don't get rear rank support. Thus I shorten my line (always a bad thing in DBx) and effectively take a valuable fighting unit out of the game. Could I do it any better (ahem, worse) if I really tried? SNAFU! Serves me right for not revising my DBR GCSE ('comprehensive/high' school) exam the night before. What I was trying to avoid was to stop my Knight (General) winning against a Light Horse and charging forward uncontrollably without any form of support, as a dangerous gap in my Light Horse screen had opened in front of my General.

[Rant Start: Optional reading]
DBR angst moment #2:
This line of previously Light Horse (Fast) turns into a mixture of Light Horse (Fast) and Light Horse (Superior). Where did the latter suddenly come from (remember I did not have the Turkish Order of Battle to hand during the battle)? This saved the Turk one possibly two "deaths". It was not intentional I am sure, but this sort of thing happens all the time in DBx games because they are 'element' games rather than 'unit' games, mixtures of troop types on similar bases can lead to 'floating troop types'. It is also too late to go back and retrospectively measure that charge distance, over 25cm and the Light Horse (Superior) would not have got in.

I would like to make it clear that my Turkish opponent is an outstandingly good chap and somebody I like gaming with (we share a badge of honour and courage serving as Union commanders together in a long ACW campaign which was fantastic fun so I know he is no wargaming cheat) but the DBR (DBx) rule-goblin makes me such a cantankerous beast! It always leaves me with that "have I been robbed(?)" intentionally or unintentionally feeling and thinking "why can't we get these rules played right or at least consistently". Anyway get over it and get on playing the game, worse things happen at sea!   
[Rant Over :) Continue Reading]


A flip-flop of clattering exchanges sees the Hungarians lose another three Light Horse (Fast) and woe betide 'me and my command' a precious Knight Lancer versus a Light Horse (Fast) to a "1 - 6" dice roll. The Ottomans in turn loses two more Light Horse (Fast). The Turks are well up in the victory point race, as my command is already nearing its break point.

There is worse news though as careful examination of the photograph above reveals exactly what I didn't want to happen, has now happened (sigh). My Knight General has been victorious in combat, made the Light Horse (Fast) it was fighting flee and advanced into the throng of the enemy fearlessly. This is the opposite of 'DBR angst' as a bizarre feature of the game I do like, a troop type behaving with historical correctness not gaming ingenuity and guile. Sadly it also looks like the end of the line for my General and with it also my command!

Next: A glorious death awaits

No comments: