Thursday 10 September 2015

A touch of FrostGrave (I) .. Welcome back to the D&D in a Death Match scramble for Magic Items

Reeling after the intensive (but fun) game of Strategos II of First Mantinea (it has to be said, again, I seem to be on a bit of a trip here) I slumped into a chair exhausted. Obviously seeing me as an "easy picking" I was approached by a young chap with a quiet Monty Python style psst, nudge, nudge, wink, wink "Excuse me. Fancy a game of FrostGrave sir?"

With dismissive air of "Excuse me, who do you think you are talking to, I'm a serious Strategos II player, can you not see the blisters on my dice throwing hand? Don't come all 'Jack the Lad' with me young man!" The nice young chap explained the concept of the game and just to humour him I give it a go. Within five minutes of playing I knew I was going to be an addict. It all takes place in the frozen, ruined remains of a magical city, devastated by misuse of "fell lore" in the dark past and now it is inhabited by fearsome beasts guarding ancient lost relics (see below):


You control a wizard, their apprentice and a hired bunch of mercenaries (aka thugs) as you search for magical loot. You get straight into tactical action from the start (see below). My ancient Chinese wizard is guarded by his trusted Ninja (bottom right of picture) as he sends a thug to fight off my adversaries henchmen (see below, right middle):


My cunning wizard then summoned a mischievous magical imp to wreak havoc in the enemies backfield, boy I already love this game, I have already summoned a monster, something I never managed to do in my D&D career. True I often attracted monsters as a result of my actions but that is totally different story. It certainly beats being a 1hp first level D&D magic-user with a ventriloquism spell (see below):


Meanwhile guarding the back of my wizard, my apprentice impresses everybody by summoning an impassable wall to block any enemy advance while my thugs find shiny things in the shadows of the ruins (see below):


What could possibly go wrong? Stay tuned for further details ...


2 comments:

Joakim Ström said...

I'm waiting for the rules to show up. They look like a lot of fun and I can use my far to big collection of fantasy minis.

"What could possibly go wrong?" - that phrase whets my appetite for the next installment... :-)

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Typical adventurer hubris, all that glitters is not Gold and one chancey dice roll too many ;)