Sunday 4 October 2015

October Project: Day 1 PVA Wash on the Figures

The unpainted elements of my Chain of Command, WW2 German Panzer Grenadier Platoon were put on the painting tray and given a coating of a watered down PVA in an effort to make them more rigid (see below):


Note: These figures were initially started in 2009 (see below the project box and also here is my link [showing uncharacteristic foresight] to my original 2009 posts giving a most useful valid Painting Guide):

Next Stage: Black undercoat ...

6 comments:

Greg said...

What is your ratio for the watered down PVA?

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Pretty "liquid" (say 6:1)

The back story was that I was looking for some PVA and the only tube I could find was an old end-of-life small Kid's craft tube which would squeeze out. So i poured some water in probably in a 6:1 ratio

I didn't want it to be that liquid but once I done it it was all I had so I may end up putting multiple coats on. Good news is that there was no loss of detail :)

Baconfat said...

I never thought of pva wash. Have you ever tried clear matte sprays to harden the model?

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...


The PVA looks ugly but the beauty of it is that it shrinks and hence wraps the figure "adding to the rigidity". OK it doesn't make it steel but other composite layers gloss/matte varnish create a Cobbham armour effect

I will possible/probably both Glass and Matt at some point

Paul Foster said...

Good progress so far.

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

Long time coming and long overdue. The 28mm comment from my friend stung me into action ;)