Thursday 1 June 2017

Spitfire Summer .. Make it BIG!

It has been a while since I last played about with building a model Spitfire (see: Previous Spitfire Blog Posts). I usually model with (it has to be said quite impractical for use on the wargame table) in 1/72 scale. I think it's a childhood thing. However I do have some 'bigger ones' (as wel as smaller ones) like the 1/48 Airfix Spitfire Vb (courtesy of the kind in-laws) that has been wanting some TLC since my youngest son (then four) threw it across the room and "bits went everywhere" (he had a strong arm a strong arm for such a small lad!). My wife consoled me (I was in some state of shock) when I came back from work to review the carnage. So finally (this weekend, after three years of procrastinating) I got to work and started reshaping all the missing bits [the rear landing wheel, 20mm cannon barrel, radio mast and the cute 'six o'clock' mirror] out of the "aircraft spare box". I also worked on the perspex canopy defining in black lines for the struts to paint over green for a more cool cockpit look (see below, note in the background my youngest sons "quick build" Lego-style Airfix Spitfire, it has stopped his catapult arm going into action again):  


However while in the loft I found this 'bad boy' (see below):


This can  be my ultra silly "Spitfire Summer Project". If I thought a 1/72 scale plane was impractical for the wargame table, then 1/24 must be impossible unless you design games for The Conference of Wargamers (CoW, Tim/Bob?).

2 comments:

Tim Gow said...

What it is to have a reputation! But even I have never used 1/24 scale models in a game. So far...

Geordie an Exiled FoG said...

If the glove fits ;)
The bigger they are the easier they are to paint in theory